ghosts






Today, I finished a rather good book - "The Sorrows of an American" by Siri Husvedt. I loved her last novel "What I Loved" passionately and am always intrigued by her work. Her latest book draws on her Scandinavian roots and her family's immigrant experiences, and for some reason, I thought of a holiday I took with my family last year to my mother's native Taiwan.

Maybe I was thinking of my parents' immigration experiences, and my family's magpie tendencies.

Maybe I was thinking of the quote that served as an epigraph: "Don't turn away/Keep looking at the bandaged place/That's where the light enters you" - Rumi (a Sufi poet)

It made me think of family and kinship and loneliness. It was a wonderful book.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts