join the club



I love how my friends give me birthday presents six months after my birthday. Not that I am complaining, for I had received the gift in July, it wouldn't have been this book, since I think it hit shops in something like August?


The sense of classicism in his photos is why his blog is still one of my favourites, out of all the quality street style blogs out there. He makes his subjects look cinematic and I love that sense of romance when it comes to photography. Which is a wee bit ironic when he's supposed to capturing real style on the streets, as opposed to magazines, but personally, I've always loved things that elevate the ordinary, simply by drawing attention to them (in books, in film etc).

Thumbing through the book is a surprisingly statisfying experience, even though I've seen quite a few of the photos before and some of my favourites aren't in there. I notice things I don't usually notice looking through a blog. Much like how I feel looking through a magazine rather than scans of them.


It's a much appreciated gift (I do love books as gifts, always) and I look forward to looking through it five years from now -- how will they inspire me then?

Comments

Ammu said…
I love the book and had the chance to meet Scott at the London booksigning - very nice guy. And I have thumbed through the book many times. I am hoping that Garance Dore brings one out as well, as I am a big fan of her work!
Natalia said…
I keep trying to figure out how these street-style photogs approach their victims. It makes sense when you're as established as Scott, but what about all the talented rookies out there. I think Scott must be an incredibly charismatic person.
yanqin said…
Ammu: I love Garance Dore's blog as well, though it's partly her personality that gives her blog so much charm, not just the photos.

Paperface: I can imagine that it's harder when he shoots "non-fashion" people, because they are less likely to have heard of him or seen the blog...
Victoria said…
I've been toying with the idea of getting this book for some time now, I think you've convinced me. I'm curious how the book is organised, it would be great if it was by style.

Popular Posts