out of order



Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Magazine: Vogue Italia November 2002

Ironically, as Pret a Porter P awards me the "I Love Your Blog" award, my blog goes haywire. As I try to rectify this, perhaps my long answers will provide some reading fodder.

And thanks to Pret a Porter P for the honour. It still amazes me that people read this blog and I'm gratified and grateful.

The rules:
- Do an entry with the prize.
- Answer the questions.
- Give the prize to 10 blogs.

1. Why did you create the blog?
Given the amount of time I (involuntarily) spend in front of the computer each day, it seemed like and easy and natural way to express my interest in fashion. It's one place where I can be 100% self-indulgent. Also, I'm inspired by lots of things but I want to be disciplined about it and this blog gradually went from being just a hodgepodge of fashion things to becoming something more about exploring and understanding what I really like.

And I like to write.

2. What kind of blogs do you follow?
Mainly fashion ones, sometimes photography ones, and I've also been enjoying those blogs where people just take (beautiful) pictures of their day to day lives and talk about nothing in particular. I think it's the voyeur in me. I like blogs that have a clear point of view and and interesting ideas and aesthetics to share, even if it's very different from what motivates me. I like a sense of discovery.

3. Favourite makeup brand?
I don't use make-up, just a bit of concealer when I need it, and I'm not fussy about what brand it is - currently it's Vichy. I love Shu Uemura skincare because it really works for my skin, although I switched my sunscreen to Biore because it is exactly the same and a fraction of the price. And I like Bliss products because they sound irresistible.

4. Favourite clothing brand?
Since my income is limited and I don't like spending exorbitantly on clothes, I find a lot of clothes which work for me at Massimo Dutti and Zara, though Zara has been disappointing me recently with the quality. I should buy shares in Inditex.

In Europe, I like shopping at COS, Toast, and Comptoir de Cotonniers. And when I want a splurge that's still friendly to my pocket, I like Vanessa Bruno and Vanessa Bruno Athe.

Designers and brands I admire and aspire to are Dries Van Noten, Helmut Lang (the man himself), Phoebe Philo (Celine and Chloe), Tom Ford (past and present), Stefano Pilati (YSL), Marni, Rag & Bone, Consuelo Castiglioni (Marni), Micheal Kors, Calvin Klein (the man), Margaret Howell, Tod's, Maria Cornejo, Chanel and Hermes.

5. Your indispensable makeup product:
Moisturiser. A life-saver. I love Shu Uemura, but it can be a bit rich, so I alternate it with L'Oreal's Hydrafresh moisturising gel, because it's perfect for the tropical climate.

6. Your favourite color:
Navy.

7. Your perfume:
None.

8. Your favourite film:
This is hard. Nobody only has one favourite film. I grew up on a diet of action blockbusters, and I can never get away from that. I love films with strong women like Alien and Terminator 2. I know, so sophisticated. Also, did I mention Ghost?

I guess The English Patient is the closest answer to this question. I can watch it again and again. (It helps that I love Michael Ondjaate.) It has everything - charismatic and hugely compelling, magnetic actors, gorgeous cinematography and direction, passionate performances that made the whole thing feel so believable even though there isn't much of a story.

I love a lot of Chinese movies. Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman made a HUGE impact on me. And I don't think there's a Zhang Yimou movie I don't like.

I also love the Chinese swordsman films of my childhood, especially The Laughing Warrior. A more familiar example of this genre would be Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

And animation is a whole new world altogether, thanks to Pixar.

Since this is fashion movie, I need to mention a few with exceptional wardrobes: Grace Kelly in Rear Window, Gwyneth Paltrow in Possession (Celine by Michael Kors) and Sliding Doors (pre-retirement Calvin Klein), and of course, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

9. What country would you like to visit and why?
I can't think of anywhere I don't want to go. A boring holiday is still an experience in itself.

Next on my list is Xinjiang, China.

10. Make the last question and answer to yourself: Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Why?

I now pass this to:
- If Jane from Nearness of Distance
- Aissa from Journal d'une Afropeene

Comments

Fashion Tidbits said…
what a great interview! i remember watching sliding doors and wanting Gwen's haircut when she chopped it off.
yanqin said…
Pret a Porter P: Thanks, you've only seen the better ones! I hide the bad ones. I hope the trip happens too.

Both are actually decent movies, in case you're disappointed by the wardrobe :)

Fashion Tidbits: So did I! Actually I already had short hair so what I wanted to grow it out a bit so that it'd look like hers. It didn't.
khaylis said…
How about Rene Russo in all that Michael Kors in The Thomas Crown Affair? Still looks relevant today.
yanqin said…
Oh I missed that, good one. Michael Kors should take over from where Giorgio Armani left off and outfit more movies.

Actually what I liked most was her hair.
Fashion Limbo said…
nice interview post, found you via pret a porter p by the way :)
And I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Gwyneth Parlow in Sliding Doors :)
yanqin said…
Fashion Limbo: Thanks!

I should rewatch the movie, and if I see if differently now.
Stacy said…
Congrats on the 'I Love Your Blog' award. Great interview.

I feel the same about Zara. I find the fit of the clothes has really changed as well - it's always a disaster area when I go in there too and that's a turn off.

I'm glad I found your blog via Pret a Porter P!

Popular Posts