juicy fruit

I've always been a big fan of Mango, because for the longest time, it has always been the place I turned to for reliable and inexpensive wardrobe fillers and staples like jeans, T-shirts, easy dresses, soft blouses and cozy cardigans - all tweaked to suit the mood of the times without being too trendy, and well-made for the price: it was Zara without the blatant designer copies.

I've gone off it a bit for the last two or three seasons because I found myself wandering in and thinking, "What's going on in here?" because the clothes were bewildering attempts at being "trendy-yet-classic", but failing. And when they went down the celebrity/designer collaboration route (Penelope Cruz, Jovovich-Hawk) to very boring results, I mourned the loss of another well-priced, well-made label delivering fashionable clothes to the masses.

The whole point of this lengthy preamble is that I think (confusing about-turn alert) that there is still hope yet for Mango, thanks to this one little black dress from the collection Osman Yousefzada has done for the label.



I understand that the collection (already launched in the UK) is meant to be available worldwide, and I am quite keen to check this dress out. I've never been a believer in the LBD as a closet staple - I've gotten by happily without one and I've never felt its absence. I do, however appreciate it's classic-ness and its capacity to be interpreted in about two million ways to unique effect, which I think is a hallmark of good, impactful design.

So this time, a mix of timing (in the working world, there are occasions that call for a good, smart dress); beauty (I love the elegant, gently ballooning panel) and price (for 50 GBP, if the quality is good, I'll take it) is telling me that I should head down to a Mango shop, pronto.

Photo from www.mango.com

Comments

Elizabeth said…
This looks good, and I'll be interested to see if you like it. I think the shape will suit you very well.
yanqin said…
As it turned out, I don't see this dress in the sops though I saw other styles, which didn't terrible impress me, though my sisters loved it. Made me wonder if I'm just not really a LBD sort of girl.

Popular Posts