textbook case



Inspired by Pret a Porter P (this happens quite often) I decided to borrow a copy of the Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style from my neighbourhood library the other day.

I've never read a style guide - it's a reflex in me to reject any "help" books or anything that purports to dictate something to me; blame it on a juvenile kneejerk reaction to being told what to do I'm still wrestling with. What intrigued me about the Lucky book was that they organised the book by looks like "Euro Chic" and "American Classic", rather than occasion or item of clothing, or age, and American-centric as the styles may be ("California Casual"), it seemed to so earnestly try to embrace a spectrum of styles ("Posh Eclectic", "Arty Slick") even as it relied on stereotypes.

So what did I learn? For one, I was quite startled by what a "type" I was - I could check almost all the boxes in the "American Classic" section - right down to the bloody "round-face watch". I was a walking archetype (though admittedly, I'm not about to put on a strand of pearls and tote a crocodile day bag). I mean, I liked CBK's style and everything, but how did they know I'd always been attracted to a gold knot ring? Spooky.

Of course there are aspects of my personality not represented by one category and there's plenty of room for me to play them up to add dimension to my book. For instance, I like gamine-ish things (so long as I don't fall into Manic Pixie Girl category) and silhouettes that are a tad tomboy-ish work best for me. My American Classic has California Casual touches of scruffy and slouchy, Frenchified with neat ballerina flats.



Photographer: Scott Schuman for The Sartorialist

Interestingly, apart from the fleeting thought that a pair of white cropped jeans would be a refreshing addition to my wardrobe, the book didn't make me feel like shopping. Does it means I can't detect any gaps in my wardrobe? This is surely something to celebrate...

Pictures all from (like a true American Classic girl) j.crew except for the shoes, which are from car shoe, and photo of lauren hutton from the sartorialist

Comments

yanqin said…
I borrowed Bazaar's Great Style, as well as a couple of books by Nina Garcia, which are surprisingly readable. Not so visual and way more advice-driven. It's a great way to look at dressing in a different light.
Unknown said…
i am alll about trench coats now!
yanqin said…
I wished I lived somewhere cold enough for one!

Popular Posts