rave/rant



Broken Social Scene! Sondre Lerche! And I'm too broke but maybe I'll plunk for The Bird and the Bee too! It's Mosaic Music Festival again, and despite the various performances being quite pricey considering they average 70 to 90 minutes long, I'm just absolutely starved of good live music performances here. When Singapore brags about being a premiere concert venue in Asia, using Maroon bloody Five really doesn't make much of an argument with me (though I suppose they have their fans). The highlight of 2007 for me was The Rapture at Zouk and Rachael Yamagata at Mosaic, but they were far too short to be truly satisfying. Looks like I really have to save my pennies and pack my bags for some mindblowing (but pocket draining) performances at seriously kickass festivals like the Summer Sonic or Fuji Rock Festival in Japan, or Good Vibrations in Australia, or Coachella in the US, or Glastonbury in the UK.

I think one limitation of Mosaic is that it's held at the Esplanade every year, which is fine for acts that do well in lush, intimate settings. But some singers, I think would benefit from something a little livelier, maybe even outdoors, some place where you don't feel too weird about jumping onto your feet (the Esplanade interior, formality wise, reminds me of the Walt Disney concert hall in L.A.). Lots of praise have been heaped on Mosaic and I think it's a great addition to our calendar of events here, but the organisers do a little more to make it better - like how about longer performances and less uptight ushers at the Esplanade?. Don't go the way of successful local art ventures and get too smug about yourselves.

Album cover picture from http://www.amazon.com/You-Forgot-It-In-People/dp/B000QZW70A/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_img?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000AP2ZT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y9C5BTZQRHANJQ7RXEP

Comments

Popular Posts