tashkent in 8 hours




^Khast-Iman square and the Tellya Sheikh mosque, and the Barak Khan Madrassah (all 16th century). Madrassahs are religious schools





^Kukeldash Madrassah (16th century)


^one of Tashkent's really ornate metro stations, built when it was still part of the Soviet Union in the seventies. It's the only Central Asian city with a subway. Took these sneakily because photo-taking is not allowed and police patrol the stations


^Random Soviet era-looking buildings. A lot of the buildings are either unmarked or marked in an alphabet/language I don't understand, so I found it easy to get disoriented while wandering around.



^The Alisher Navoi Opera and Ballet Theatre, built in the forties.


^Food. Obviously. The chilli reminded me of home.


^Lots of people are still driving these and they are much cuter than the modern Korean Hyundais and Daewoos that are getting pretty common.


^Amir Timur Museum. Lots of ancient manuscripts and artifacts and the guided tour is a great quick glimpse of Uzbek history.



^Random street, and a metro entrance near Independence Square.


^One of the many beautiful tree-lined streets in Tashkent. There are numerous parks and fountains and the roads are built wide and lined with trees. It makes for a wonderful autumn walk.



I uploaded the pictures backwards, so the top picture the last thing I saw for the day, and the last picture is one of my first shots of the day. Incidentally, the top photo is also one of the older sights of the city, while the last picture is one of the relatively newer constructions. Time travel, if you will.

I love the people I met, I love the place. Definitely worth the mind-numbing 7-hour transit in New Delhi. Can't wait to go back and see more of the place.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
For me, it was Tashkent in 8 seconds, and I loved every one.

Popular Posts