via want & worth, words to treasure

"I'm searching for a new proportion. What interests me is the 'space' between the person wearing the clothes and the clothes themselves - the airiness, the movement, the silhouette."

"Fabric is everything. Often I tell my pattern makers, 'Just listen to the material. What is it going to say? Just wait. The material will probably teach you something.'."

"For me, a woman who is absorbed in her work, who does not care about gaining one's favour, strong yet subtle at the same time, is essentially more seductive. The more she hides and abandons her femininity, the more it emerges from the very heart of her existence."

"I wanted people to wear my clothes for at least ten years, so I ask the fabric maker to make a very strong, tough finish. It's very close to designing army clothing."

- Yohji Yamamoto as quoted in the V&A exhibition guide

Yohji fan or not, the principles behind his work are admirable and inspiring. I read this on editor's always thoughtful blog Want & Worth, and found them too good not to share. Good words to carry with you, no matter what one does.

Comments

Lindsay K said…
Such inspiring quotes and principles to live by. I especially love the idea of wanting clothes to last.

I'm so disappointed that work won't allow for a London trip. I've head that the exhibit is fantastic.
yanqin said…
Lindsay: I know! This sort of thing makes me reject almost everything they hawk at you at Zara. Again, I have perfectly durable things from there, but I also know that's prbly not the driving principle in their manufacturing.
miss sophie said…
this perfectly sums up the avant garde-ish art silhouette that i've seen a lot on chic women in Japan and other parts of Asia. i think it's something i'm slowly gravitating towards in small doses here and there the older i get. there's always something very alluring about a woman who doesn't dress to display her body.
Human Racing said…
I wish more designers/brands took these principles to heart. I feel like companies are beholden to fast fashion that things aren't made to last as long as they used to. It's very frustrating.

Thanks for sharing these quotes! The general principles are things that can be applied to many facets of life.
yanqin said…
miss sophie: I have to admit I don't gravitate do that look much, although maybe my preference for loose tops comes from there. I agree about the allure of covering up - I've always been drawn to that. Or at the very least, not dressing in the archetypal sexy way.

austere: I agree. It's a good attitude for life.

Pret a Porter P: Same here. And yet he's the influence behind many designers or styles I like.

Popular Posts