maria, full of grace

This is going to be one of those random gushy posts about a designer I really like, not at all linked to any recent news or issue. Maria Cornejo and her label Zero Maria Cornejo really ought to get more attention than they do, for the simple fact that she has a way with cut and form, and does things with them that doesn't confound the most of us who, try as they might, seriously find the likes of Comme des Garcons and Martin Margiela too difficult sometimes. I like easy clothes that are difficult to the apparent eye, but in a non-flashy, non-statement way. And Ms Cornejo (who stocks her in Singapore? please tell me) does that.
This is her fall stuff -
And this is her spring '07 stuff -
I think one would find similarities between Zero and Marni but then I would say that Ms Cornejo's designs have a sleeker, somewhat more austere quality that appeals to the part of me that doesn't particularly want too much attention on my clothes.
I also like the look of her shoes - a nice variation of the heavy shoe, in flat form. I haven't seen too many of those around.
I always thought a good indication of a designer's vision is the way they dress themselves (see Consuelo Castiglioni, Miuccia Prada, and Vera Wang), and from what I see, I think Ms Cornejo's vision is clear and strong indeed - she is absolutely rocking in her own dresses -
So yeah, I think we can expect great things from Ms Cornejo indeed.

Pictures from www.style.com

Comments

Popular Posts