trials and tribulations



The short story is that, yessss, I bought the bag, and I look forward to using it.
The long story, if one would like to read on, is one full of miraculous luck and goodwill.
After my younger sister's delicious birthday lunch yesterday, we all went to the YSL boutique at Ion (a shopping centre) so that I could buy the bag. I had this feeling that it was too good a buy to still be available; and I was right - the sales assistant who showed me the bag three days before told me it was sold out.
The bottom fell out below my heart and I could feel it sink to my stomach; I tried to rally, I smiled and thanked her, I admired a very beautiful eelskin clutch, I told my family in as cheerful a voice I could manage "Oh well, money saved". I was crushed.
We spent the rest of the day looking for a birthday present for my dad (he's in China), wandering all over town. We were meant to have dinner elsewhere, but because a jacket I wanted was only available at Ion, we went back there, and ended up having dinner there as well.
After dinner, we wanted to head straight home, but my older sister insisted on one last spin around the shopping centre to see if we could find anything else suitable for my dad.
We were on the same floor as the YSL boutique, but not near at all. Then we heard someone running after us. Turning around, we saw Farah, the sales assistant from the boutique. "I found one more bag in our stockroom," she said. "I was hoping you'd come by again."
Joy! We went back, she showed me the bag, which she explained she didn't display all day after finding it because she was hoping I might be back again. We admired it, I paid, and hugs all around. I promised her coffee when I came by again.
Pure coincidence took me back to Ion, and it was luck that she spotted me at all from the inside of the store when I was a good distance away in a crowd, and simple kindness that she thought of keeping the bag for me though there wasn't that high a chance I would pass by again in the same day. I can't thank her enough. Look for Farah if you're ever at YSL in Ion.
It's only a day old in my possession, but this bag already has plenty of memories for me.

Comments

Victoria said…
Such an amazing bag, love the charcoal colour and the glossy leather. And such a great story behind its purchase, sometimes there seems to be an element of fate at play with some purchases.
yanqin said…
-h: I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful carrier in opium colours, was expecting the usual white and black one.

victoria: yes, to resist it at that point would then feel like i was rejecting something meant to happen
yanqin said…
-h: I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful carrier in opium colours, was expecting the usual white and black one.

victoria: yes, to resist it at that point would then feel like i was rejecting something meant to happen

Popular Posts