notes for october
A few things I've been admiring...
- Koto Bolofo's fall/winter campaign for Margaret Howell does the same beautiful work of looking at the details (of making a sweater) as the spring campaign did for a white shirt
- Hillary Mantel’s “Wolf Hall” – Influenced by all the press she got for winning the Booker again with “Bring up the bodies”, I bought this. Won over.
- Some ideas from the banking/finance industry that actually sound good
- Susie Bubble’s take on running her first half marathon was touching and made me recall my own experience; it’s amazing, that powerful feeling of release and accomplishment after a good run. And yes, I cried after my first half marathon too.
- A blouse reworked from a dress – I’ve finally steeled my heart to chop one of my dresses into a blouse, because as a dress, its shelf life is over.
- My bridesmaids dress for a wedding in December. It’s still being finished. It’s a very vivid coral pink but I think I’ll dye it black or navy after, if it can be done – the tailor is a good one and it would a waste to let her work go unworn.
A few things I want...
- I think I'm ready for a small casual leather purse for weekends. Nothing too expensive. I like this Baggu one but wish I could see it in person first.
- Glasses – Mine are getting battered because I constantly fall asleep while still wearing them. But the perfect pair takes time to reveal itself.
- Aesop's body balm in either geranium leaf or citrus leaf. My body lotion will run out in about a month and I like thinking about what to get next. There are cheaper ones but I'm big on scent and these two are winning...
And new things I've been trying...
- Running regularly. I want to do some good trekking next year.
- Instagram. Hannah-rose asked me if I had an account recently, and I said no. Then I thought, "why not?". I'm "outofthebag" if you're interested. Not much there yet except my Bali pictures, and pictures of my feet.