personal style, sienna miller, a new mood, and wishlisting.

Image from OZMA of California. I love the photography and styling. 

This is a very random post, as you might be able to tell from the title. I find that I escape into thinking about personal style and shopping whenever I'm a bit stressed from work, and that certainly was in the case the last couple of weeks. And the result is this post. 

One of the things I watched on repeat while decompressing from my work days was this video of Sienna Miller breaking down seven outfits over seven days. It stuck with me because her style from day to day was varied. Like Kate Moss in the 90s' and 2000s', her style isn't about a singular "look", but a reflection of her taste*. She has a knack for picking good clothes and wearing them well in her own way. That's personal style for you. (To understand what the opposite looks like, you only need to watch the other videos in the same series...the one of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is an example of how you can choose very good clothes and wear them in a very uninspiring way.)

Earlier this year, I wrote about style adjectives after falling into a YouTube wormhole during my COVID fever dream.  I had a go, but I think words are really not it for me when it comes to describing style, and I rarely think of those words when I'm getting dressed or shopping. I also read this piece by stylist Subrina Heyink (shared by Tiia), in which she expressed similar points some of you guys made about the idea of style adjectives. This bit particularly resonated with me. 

"I’m realizing that style isn’t something you can teach. You intuitively have it or you dedicate decades exploring and collecting references that you will need to translate into your desired wardrobe. It is why I have been unable to put into words certain ideas that feel intuitive for me and that’s okay. I think the emphasis on finding personal style is what has people confused. You cannot teach anyone anything on how to find their personal style, but you can definitely teach someone how to put outfits together and what makes them work for the person’s body shape; you can teach someone how to smartly shop but you cannot teach someone what to reference." -- Subrina Heyink 

I still enjoy following the personal style journeys and analyses of others though (adjectives and all) - I like the stories, the thought process, and most of all, the excitement when someone feels like they've nailed a look. It is so much more interesting than a static image of a "look". And it has helped me think a little deeper into why I sometimes feel bored when I get dressed. It was satisfying to categorise my wardrobe, and remind myself to seek little joys by wearing something that feels very "me", as opposed to merely functional, every day. 

That said, I am still charmed by the idea of style adjectives, and recently the words that have been playing in my mind are "unbothered" and "refined". This isn't about defining my personal style, it's about the elements I feel like I'm missing in my everyday dress. The last couple of years, I have been motivated by comfort, colour and playfulness, but last week, when I put on a black midi skirt, I was reminded of how nice it feels to be just a little bit chic. Streamlined pieces, a touch of something sharp, but still lots of ease. Nothing too tailored or severe. I want to keep wearing what I have, but tweak how I wear them. 

This is to some extent reflected in my wishlist, which, unusually, features a lot of black. Looking at the list, I can see that I am drawn towards sleek pieces, which hasn't been the case for a long time. I am not sure how sustained this mood will be, but for now, making a list and thinking about whether any of this makes sense for me, is a fun thought exercise. 
  1. Black slip dress 
  2. Black slip skirt  
  3. Black leather flat sandals with thin straps.
Meanwhile, here are some features of how people get dressed that I have been enjoying:


*- I'm sure Sienna Miller uses a stylist, and a stylist is credited for the Vogue video. But there's something genuine about the way she talked about each piece that doesn't feel forced or banal, so I'm inclined to think it's a genuine reflection of her taste to some extent.

Comments

MC Bontemps said…
Sadly visual and cultural references have often been red herrings for me. Some boo-boos which come to mind include the long and lean trousers which only looked good with high heels, the cult-y cool-girl leather jacket which was only comfortable in the narrowest of temperature conditions, the exquisite custom-ordered bench-made brogues which never broke in sufficiently to wear comfortably, the list goes on.

Clothes ultimately need to fit a 3-dimensional body whose life may require work, play, cooking dinner, running to catch a bus, taking off or putting on an extra layer for warmth or formality. I’ve found my favourite and hardest-working things by addressing the functional questions of fit, comfort and appropriateness first. And I don’t rule out having fun with occasional reinvention and experimentation, like getting rid of most of my suits when work ceased to require them or having my imagination tickled by the recent higher-waist everything and bringing out so many old things to wear with just a couple of trendy purchases.

Popular Posts