my style adjectives

Me trying out sofas in Melbourne. Kinda sad my husband didn't like this one but then I reckon taking care of the light-coloured fabric would have stressed me out. 

Classic. Chill. ________

Chill. Minimal. ________

Relaxed. Practical. ________

While recovering from COVID, I had a lot of time to melt my brain watching videos by Amy Smilovic of Tibi, and stylist Allison Bornstein. It wasn't all interesting (sometimes it was a bit grating), but this idea of having "style adjectives" to describe your style (three seems to be the magic number) stuck in my head. 

I drew a blank when I asked myself what my adjectives were. At the heart of it, I am not a particularly creative or expressive dresser, nor do I seem to have much to say about it at this stage of my life. But I tried anyway, because why not, when one is recovering from COVID? 

To start, I like 90s minimalism. I like 50s elegance. Clothes intrigue me when they suggest an interesting life, and when they express the confidence of the wearer. The foundations of my style are a pair of well-worn jeans and a white t-shirt. In this phase of my life I want them to feel relaxed and forgiving. I want sturdy fabrics that yield to comfort. I want quiet dignity. Adaptability. 

Perhaps: Relaxed. Hardworking. Quiet drama? 

The first two adjectives are easy, but I am still mulling the third. It has always been rather troublesome to square the "drama" bit with the rest of my wardrobe. Like a magpie drawn to shiny things, I occasionally love strong voluminous lines, a striking graphical print, rich embroidery. Items like these are usually also sentimental, or just plain fun, and I think it reminds me not to take style too seriously. So I persist, even when I sometimes feel like I'm forcing something onto the rest of my outfit, which sulks at this loud intruder. 

I've also struggled with stuff that are too "fashion" or are well-known status symbols. Like my old Chanel purse, or my mum's Rolex Datejust. Or even my Celine Sangle Seau tote. Fashion as an industry has ruined these bits of otherwise timeless design for me, and it some effort to adjust my gaze and figure how to still have these things in my life. 

In any case, I came across the photo above of me on a rare day out in Melbourne, which puts into play some of the adjectives I came up with. I'm wearing a black sleeveless cotton midi dress with a long-sleeve tee under that has a polka dot and floral pattern. I'm wearing heavy denim shirt jacket (more jacket than shirt) that's done surprisingly well against the cold weather, and navy knee-high thermal socks with trusty sneakers. I've got my one indulgence that I didn't want to put into storage while we're waiting to move into our permanent home - my Acne Musubi bag, which has been an ace choice because anything other than a cross-body bag falls off my shoulder when I have a jacket on (a problem I never had in Singapore). 

I like the contrast of dark socks and light shoes. I like the mismatched hems peeking out under my jacket cuffs. I like that my erstwhile summer clothes are working well in this chilly weather. I like the quirky yet practical shape and size of my handbag. The overall silhouette of my outfit is a mix of volume and restrained lines that I find pleasing

My clothes are working hard for me and giving me quiet joy. I feel engaged by my outfit but I am not distracted by it. If you couldn't already tell, I am pleased with my outfit and I feel very "me". Definitely a feeling to aim for.

Not sure how long this style adjective exercise will linger in my head, but it's been fun thinking about it. What are your style adjectives, if any? 

Comments

evencleveland said…
This was fun to read (and I am glad you are feeling better). I find the way people use adjectives for this fascinating, because it feels algorithmic—the emphasis on three maps to choosing indexing keywords for websites, etc. There's a sort of anxiety in it; to be coherent, to be understood. And also to be a responsible consumer: not to buy the weird/excessive/nonaligned thing. But my impulse in dressing is a little different: I don't love when what I wear feels easily mapped/broken down into signifiers. I like the chaos of unexpected juxtapositions, even if I am the only one who knows they are there. I'm always shooting for joy, too—sometimes quiet, sometimes loud. So I suppose my one sneaky, selfish, inscrutable adjective is "me"—I want clothes that feel like they belong to me and me alone.
MC Bontemps said…
My words are bourgeois going fuzzy at the edges. I love tailoring, grooming, good fabrics, nice jewellery and hand-finished details but I love them more after they’ve taken on a bit of patina from years of use or even a day’s worth of dishevelling.

And in my forties I’ve embraced my inner magpie and reversed the proportion of statement-makers to tasteful basics in my closet. I love and regularly wear big volume, colour and print, and only keep enough t-shirts, jeans and navy tailoring to tie it all together especially for travel.

Hope your recovery goes well and the sofa-buying translates into a comfy new nest soon.
lin said…
even cleveland: well said! for some, it seems like words can only go so far when it comes to style, while for others it brings clarity to ideas.

pret a porter p: thank you, i am much much better. also the more time i spend on IG the more i miss blogging.

agree that life's needs come first these days, but i think you're still awesome at setting a unique tone and vibe for yourself, from what i gather from your occasional posts :)

i have really embraced track pants (joggers) since i moved to australia...it is too cold for me to wear shorts around the house (as I used to) and joggers are suddenly the most warm, comfy and versatile thing to get through a day of WFH, lunchtime grocery pick-ups and doing laundry in my apartment block's laundry room. i never liked the look and shopping for these involved thinking about what i DID NOT want to look like.

mc bontemps: love this description, i can actually sort of picture it! i like the idea of seeing basics as unifying the disparate, hard to categorise things, but still seeing the latter as the core part of your style.


Jenkr said…
This is an interesting idea, but I think depending on age and/ or stage in life the three adjectives can change. Utilitarian is a word I'd never consider for my style before, but that is exactly what I want now. I need more practical pieces that aren't fussy and work in multiple situations. I'd like to say I have that kind of wardrobe now, but my recent vacation convinced me I have a ways to go. But I'll keep the utilitarian adjective as more of an aspiration since I'm not quite there yet.

Knitwear - I almost used the word Japanese, but I've bought knits from more than just Japanese companies. (My favorites are Japanese.) I've obtained several lightweight knits that work for layering in winter and are perfect on their own in summer.

Elegant - this is the magpie/experimental side. I also crave volume and clean lines, but sometimes want full on baroque or rococo as well. Some days its sleek Japanese minimalism and other days Marie Antoinette. No matter the extreme, there always has to be something that whispers elegance.

Popular Posts