influenced, uninfluenced, and surviving Black Friday


I have to admit, for the first time in a while, I was pretty excited when Black Friday rolled around, because I had been eyeing a few cute things for a while, and I thought a discount would seal the deal. I never found Black Friday discounts particularly exciting compared to say, end of season markdowns, but the past two years of stasis had me craving for the thrills of retail therapy. 

I spent ages online, but in the end, I bought nothing. 

Well, ok I did, but not any of the things that I thought would thrill me most. I didn't buy the cute bedspread, I didn't buy the cool clogs. Instead, I bought a vacuum cleaner and a vacuum flask from my local department store, a white t-shirt that wasn't on sale, and a necklace from a social enterprise.

Somehow, when it came to the moment of adding things to cart, I felt the urge to get away from the the things I spent months wanting. I had a feeling that as soon as all the cute, cool girl-approved things arrived, they would lose their appeal. I would realise that life was not a series of photogenic moments where objects could sooth me. And I would feel guilty.

So in the end, I fed the consumption monster, but tried to stick to things that made sense for my needs. I needed a vacuum cleaner, so I bought a nice one at a good price thanks to a modest discount and rebate dollars I earned from past purchases. I used the same rebate dollars to buy myself a new flask that met my exact specifications (500ml, wide mouth for easy cleaning, has a handle, chic colour). 

On the frivolous front, the new tee is from Buck Mason and I hope it is the cropped tee I have been dreaming of (boxy but not too boxy, cropped but not too cropped). And after years of wanting an everyday chain link necklace, I finally found one by a Nepali designer via Artisan & Fox, with just enough details to make it special.

And last month, unrelated to Black Friday, I bought a new pair of prescription glasses. I wear glasses daily and regular eye checks and a back-up pair is always a good idea.

None of the things I bought are the things I obsess over on IG. They're things I've seen in person and considered carefully whether they worked for my life, or they're things recommended by friends who understand my sensibilities. 

I feel relief over not giving into impulse. I think there is nothing wrong with waiting for a discount to buy something, but the intense messaging around Black Friday (and 11.11 etc etc) makes me really uncomfortable, knowing that I am being primed to shop. It actually makes me question a potential purchase more than I usually would. 

Of course I still want things. I have been stalking the Acne Studios Musubi bag for almost two years now (many have come and gone on the resale sites I stalk) but have held back as I hardly go anywhere with a small leather bag these days. I am still looking for the right leather belt. I am highly tempted to order another pair of wide-legged linen trousers from NotPerfectLinen. And I'm trying to resist it but I really would like a pair of knit trousers from Uniqlo's upcoming collab with Mame Kurogouchi. 

But first, a pause. I am excited about the denim midi skirt I am making in my drafting and sewing course. I am highly challenged by the linen blouse I am making in the same course. I am wondering whether my money is better spent buying a sewing machine when the course is over. I am anticipating the arrival of my new t-shirt. I am finally decluttering ahead of my big move next year. What will matter to me most?

Comments

K said…
With your leave I might respond to your post with a proper one on my own quite-dead blog, but for now I just want to immediately comment: SAME. well rather, I don't think what I purchased was brag- slash gram-worthy. Not much in the way of fun status items, most were replacements.

I like what you said re: spending on your health / getting new glasses. For me it's back to the doctors to deal with orthotic inserts, now that consultations are open. If the pandemic taught me anything, it's to leave no health agenda item burning for long. Long walks and/or short hikes are no fun when your feet and shoes don't work well together.
Xin said…
Similar feeling this year of spending a lot of time browsing, but buying very few things, mostly just a lot of Stasher reusable/washable silicone food storage bags and socks through the weekend. I even already knew that Black Friday/Cyber Monday tends to be a terrible sale season for the type of fall/winter fashion I'm typically interested in this time of year (which generally doesn't get real discounts until post-Christmas and New Year's). I confirmed this year was no different very quickly, and yet still I continued to browse! It just wasn't a great use of my time, though I also didn't have the mental energy to do much else with my free time over the weekend so I continued with all the browsing. Just not that fun all around.

It won't be long before I'm getting new prescription glasses as well, and probably contacts. I still have a few months of soft contacts left, thanks to COVID social distancing and staying home, but my old pairs are totally the wrong prescription now, oops.
Anonymous said…
K: Ah, the days where we all blogged! Very much looking forward to any post you might write. Putting money on things that improve our health and mobility - eventually it's going to be a need rather than a choice and the sooner we do it the better!

Xin: Yes it is shocking how much time is spent stalking and browsing things to buy. Hopefully this is a funk we can break sooner than later.
MC Bontemps said…
Why not just crop a suitable t-shirt yourself ? I arrived at this insight stunningly late myself, considering how much of a staple cropped tops are for me. I have no problems getting my dressmaker to undertake other small alterations but this one is tiny enough that it seems embarrassing to ask. So I measure, cut, iron and hand-sew the new hem into place before washing. Easy even for someone who struggles to correctly attach fallen-off buttons.
lin said…
MC Bontemps: I can't believe this didn't occur to me sooner! Maybe I am not used to the idea of messing with jersey fabrics, but I should definitely try this. Thanks for the tip!
miss sophie said…
echoing a bit what K said earlier - something about the pandemic made me somewhat allergic to fashion shopping for the last two years. i don't even think i paid attention to anything Black Friday since 2019. not enough mental/emotional bandwidth maybe, or maybe it also just felt temporarily irrelevant for the day to day. instead the occasional purchase here and there mostly were things for the home. i've only recently started being interested in style/sartorial ideas again. in any case, so glad to see that you've kept blogging, i have some reading catch up to do! do share how the skirt project turned out :)

Popular Posts