"this moment contains all moments"

01a

Photographer: David Sims for Cacharel

I'm sitting with friends, one of whom I've known since I was 10, the other, since I was 13, and it's her last day in Singapore, before she leaves for New Zealand, where she now lives. I'm eating a huge sandwich that's good, but frankly, something I could make at home and for a lot less money, but it doesn't matter because the salad is topped with sesame seeds and this makes us all laugh because we remember the time one of us made tofu patties sprinkled with sesame seeds but it was really a sesame fest with a bit tofu underneath. We're going to miss our Antipodes-bound friend but we don't talk about it and the sun is shining through the window and light catches in her hair and on the water glasses, but it's cold in the restaurant. I'm wearing a favourite cardigan, the same cardigan I wore when we all took an agonisingly long 13-hour bus ride on a trip, and two of us needed the toilet so badly that we were on the verge of tears.

I'm sitting here, writing this, wearing the same cardigan, thinking about how I was so busy at work that I missed her message saying bye to all of us, and thinking damn, she was gone before I knew it, and when will we all be in the same room again, because this is what happens to friends sometimes, as time passes - other lands call to us and oceans spring up in between, and the four of us sit on three different continents. We gave her a cardigan too, for her birthday, and maybe it will hold for her the same kind of memories and thoughts, the way my own slightly pilled, slightly fuzzy cardigan has the power to recall things that makes me feel like I'm sitting there again, in that restaurant, having an (overpriced) lunch, surrounded by flowers, light, and the laughter of friends.

P.S: Quote is by C S Lewis - I'm taking it slightly out of context here, but only slightly.

Pictures from tfs

Comments

Angie said…
This was a really sentimental post and got me nostalgic thinking of all the friends I've kind of lost over the years.i ,too, have memories of clothes i've worn in special times with them and I kind of lost,too.
Kate said…
Really lovely. Thankyou.
Althea said…
This is beautiful.
Lindsay K said…
This is such a lovely post. It makes me miss my friends , as we live all over the world now.

I'm very sentimental when it comes to clothes. I remember all of clothing I wore in each grade on the first day of school and what I was wearing when I met my boyfriend. There are items I won't get rid of because they hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing this. It made my day!
Ginta said…
So beautiful & poetical.
Joy said…
Ack this makes me wonder just why am I so bad at keeping in touch with people? I want to delete facebook, but it also means that it would be THAT much harder to keep in touch with ppl in multiple time zone.
Stephanie said…
This reminds me so much of my own friends—all of us wanting to move into adult life more fully, none of us wanting to forget what it has meant to have been so close for so long. Thanks for writing. x
miss sophie said…
such a lovely post. i think this encapsulates perfectly the essay you linked to from W recently about how we live style through our memories and the people we love.
yanqin said…
Thanks everyone, it was a bit of a reflective thing and I suppose, rather personal...so it's nice that you guys could still relate to it. The connection between clothing and memory has always been a powerful one for me.

Popular Posts