home


It's taken longer than we'd expected but my husband and I finally moved into our new apartment a month ago. 

The decision to buy this particular apartment was made by my husband well before we decided to get married, and while he has seen other apartments built by the same developer, I haven't. It created a bit of anxiety, and it was such a relief when we finally got to inspect it. 

The apartment is modest by "aspirational" standards but just right for our sensibilities. It has two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and living/dining area. I have always agonised over keeping a house clean and tidy and I have no desire to live in a place that I cannot clean and maintain well.

It has beautiful reclaimed wood floors, and quality double-glazed windows. The bathroom and kitchen are tasteful and functional, and there's a nice snug feel about the space overall. Initially, I wondered if it was a bit dark, but then I remember my light-filled rental in Singapore that was effectively a greenhouse, which forced me to use the air-conditioning more than I would like. 

It has a balcony, where I hope to air-dry my laundry (there is also a drying space on the rooftop) and maybe even occasionally do some heavy cooking (deep-drying chicken for example). I also hope to grow some herbs. 

We sold/gave away all our furniture when we left Singapore, so we've had to buy a lot of stuff just to be able to eat, sleep and sit comfortably: a bed, a mattress, a sofa, a fridge, a dining table and chairs, desks, desk chairs (we both work from home), and a shoe rack and shoe cabinets for the hallway. I have 8 boxes of books waiting to be unpacked, so I also ordered a custom-made bookcase from here. And last week, we bought a drill and installed curtains and blinds (it was very satisfying). 

I feel strongly about being able to host loved ones so I got a daybed for the study that I can read on, and open up to sleep two when needed. We've already hosted two friends from Singapore so I know it's something that we'll keep using. 

The apartment comes with a sensible amount of closets and cupboards, and it's so nice to have more space than we need. I have no intention of going beyond the closet space allocated to me though. We didn't have any clothes hangers when we moved in and I had to buy 300 of them. 300. I blush writing this. 

There will be space for a dog, no matter what. I have been stalking animal shelter websites and looking up nearby off-lead parks.

Every week, it feels like I'm ordering something new (a broom, a mop, a bathmat, a hairdryer, a floor mat for the kitchen, about 12567403 containers to freeze and store the food we prep, a step stool). If we hadn't kept a good majority of our kitchen things (cutlery, cookware, small appliances, knives), we would be buying even more. 

And I keep eyeing luxuries, like silk wool rugs, linen placemats, one-of-a-kind platters. I have to keep telling myself that a home is not defined by the things I buy. I keep telling myself to be patient, to wait for those little discoveries that have a story.

(We did splurge on linen bedding and a candle.) 

To help myself along, I started setting out the sentimental items, even though I haven't figured out where to place them. A photo of a now-demolished stadium in Singapore given by friends. A little woollen hanging I bought in Bolivia five years ago. In the bathroom, I hang up a watercolour of whales that my aunt bought for me when we holidayed in the US, my last family holiday with my mother.

And then there's this little rattan stool. It belonged to my late mum, who gave it to my sister. When I was in Singapore in July, I commented on how lovely it still was, and my sister asked if I wanted it, as she felt she wasn't getting much use out of it. I was surprised, but thrilled (personally I think it looks lovely in her home). 

It was a little worn and needed new bindings, but I could see exactly where it would go - in my hallway, where I could sit to put my shoes on. My home. 


Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenkr said…
Congratulations on your new apartment! It's always exciting to move to a new place and make it your own. It's great that you have a balcony and rooftop space. That little extra outdoor space can always come in handy or make you feel less closed in when in an apartment building.
MC Bontemps said…
Congratulations ! It sounds like you’re settling in nicely. There’s a lot to be said about a well-appointed new-build if your time and energy aren’t up for constant home maintenance.
lin said…
Jenkr: Thanks! The rooftop is especially glorious for air-drying clothes and was designed for that purpose, and when space gets tight, our balcony is perfect. I'm more excited about air-drying my clothes than I am about gardening, tbh.

MC Bontemps: Thanks! No new build is perfect and we had some bad builder/architect choices mar the experience (it is laughably easy to break into the common areas of the building and there were a spate of bicycle thefts within a week of people moving in). But it is a still a much nicer than place than anything I have lived in, so I focus on that.



Alyssa said…
Congratulations on your new home! It can be kind of unnerving trying to figure out how you and your possessions fit in a new space, but it seems like you are on the right track. Hosting friends goes a long way, doesn't it?

Popular Posts