the unintentional capsule life

I haven’t bought any new clothes since the year began. 

Well, ok I bought underwear in January I think. But I really needed that. 

This no/low-buy phase is not because I discovered some new level of resilience against my consumerist instincts, but because I’ve relocated to a new country, and am reluctant to buy anything while my living arrangements are changing every few months. The process of packing has also made me hideously aware of how much stuff I own, and I now think of belongings as equal parts utility, pleasure and burden. 

In related news, I am living out of a suitcase while most of my stuff is in storage at the moment, and am finding that even in this enforced “capsule” situation, I have a surprising amount of choice. 

I have my basics: 1 pair of "nice" joggers, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of wide-leg trousers, 1 skirt, a bunch of tank tops and T-shirts, a plain tank dress. For fun, I have a nice billowy white cotton blouse and a jumpsuit. For warmth, I have a denim jacket, 1 one down jacket, 2 jumpers, 2 sweatshirts and 1 scarf. For working out, I have 1 sports bra, 1 tank top, 1 long-sleeve top, 1 pair of bike shorts, and 2 pairs of leggings. I have all my under things, socks and sleepwear. For footwear, I have 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of everyday sneakers and 1 pair of Birkenstocks sandals. For bags, I have my Acne Musubi bag, 1 small backpack for day trips and 2 totes (one foldable, one canvas) for everyday use. 

These are meant to see me from the end of Melbourne’s summer and the start of colder days by June. It is more than enough. although there have been moments of boredom; I do miss having more shoes to change up the feel of an outfit.

Here's to a few more months of no/low-buy.

Comments

Archana said…
So good to hear from you. I hope you are finding your place in the new place.
- Archana.
miss sophie said…

this accidental capsule reminds me of the fun but strict challenge of packing for travel. kind of a drag at times when you're very limited re options but usually at the end of it you come out of it with useful insights about what really worked well/what didn't. hope you're feeling less burdened by choice at the moment! :)

speaking of what works, how are you liking the Musubi? i've been eyeing it as a possible medium day bag to replace a worn out vintage Coach saddlebag.
lin said…
Archana - thank you! i hope so too.

miss sophie: I do feel a bored sometimes but I also realise that buying more stuff would not have cured this boredom! Re the Musubi bag - I love it! It is a fun shape and I find it quite practical when worn cross-body. It is quite roomy but I don't really like the centre pocket divider as it makes hard to cram in larger items that would have otherwise fit into the full volume of the bag. All in all, it is very practical for my needs and the only fun item in my current wardrobe so I very much appreciate it.

Popular Posts