they came home with me, 2022

A selection of what I bought in 2022
Top left to right: Assembly Label slip dress; Birkenstock Arizonas; Caron Callahan Bea coat.
Centre row from left: Uniqlo x Mame Kurogouchi bra camisole (got this in black); Uniqlo U striped shirtdress.
Bottom row from left: COS navy wool tabard; Common Projects leather sneakers; Lululemon Stretch High Rise joggers; Raey denim skirt; Uniqlo U shirt-coat (got this in black). 

When I sat down to make a list of what I bought this year, I thought it was going to be a very long list of frivolous things for someone who works from home and doesn't go out much. Writing it down though, I could see that the reality was somewhat less extreme, but there were definitely regrettable moments of buying something I didn't particularly need or want.

I included the number of wears I got out of each item since buying them, and it was clear that the more functional purchases were the right decisions, from a utility perspective.  

  1. Black Arizona sandals from Birkenstock (42 wears)
  2. Black Stretch High Rise jogger pants from Lululemon (32 wears)
  3. Copper brown Stretch High Rise jogger pants from Lululemon (27 wears)
  4. Olive green Stretch High Rise jogger pants from Lululemon (25 wears)
  5. Cream textured cotton blend Wide Leg Crop pants from Lululemon (22 wears)
  6. Navy merino wool tabard from COS (14 wears)
  7. Cream recycled wool-nylon beanie from Patagonia (so many times I lost count)
  8. Black denim shirt-coat from Uniqlo U (11 wears)
  9. Blue wide-legged linen trousers from Assembly Label (secondhand, 10 wears)
  10. Plaid quilted cotton coat from Caron Callahan (secondhand, 5 wears)
  11. Black silk cotton jersey bra tops from Uniqlo X Mame Kurogouchi (3 wears)
  12. Denim midi skirt with front split from Raey (secondhand, 2 wears)
  13. Ivory and green striped cotton shirtdress from Uniqlo (2 wears)
  14. Denim high-waist shorts from Lee (secondhand, 0 wears) 
  15. Cream leather Achilles sneakers from Common Projects (0 wears)
  16. Black washed silk slip dress from Assembly Label (0 wears)
The planned/necessary buys
The big change for me this year has been moving countries and living (as opposed to vacationing) in a winter climate for the first time. It wasn't long before I realised my WFH uniform of shorts and a T-shirt in tropical Singapore was a bit idealistic for winter in Melbourne. 

After my husband asked me for the nth time to buy my own sweatpants instead of borrowing his, I did. I went to a Lululemon outlet store and bought three pairs because there was a deal for three pairs of bottoms for A$150, which appealed to my bargain brain. I felt guilty almost as soon as I left the store, feeling excessive. But soon, I found that I was wearing them all the time -- at home, getting groceries, going to the movies, to the gym, on weekend hikes and camping trips. They're made of a soft, matte material that doesn't look scruffy and drapes slightly, and the colours are refined, so I never feel shabby in them.  

Another item I bought to perk up my winter wardrobe was a navy wool tabard from COS. Since I don't own much knitwear, this was quite practical - it's excellent for layering without adding bulk, and it adds visual interest to an outfit. I debated ordering from independent brands online, but I hadn't done well when it came to online shopping recently, so I chose to buy from a fast fashion brand just to make sure it was something that fit and felt right for me. 

I knew a beanie would be a great thing to have once winter arrived in earnest -- I had a head cold once while travelling and was miserable. So I tried what felt like 50 beanies in shops before landing on a Patagonia one (not pictured), and I have no regrets. The wool blend material is nice and dense but still breathable, and the fit is not too snug but snug enough to keep out the wind. It's comfortable for hikes and when I'm out and about in the city. The pom-pom at the top is the icing on the cake. 

Meanwhile, I knew my Birkenstocks were on its last legs, so I brought it to the store to see if I could replace the sole and footbed. But the straps were also pretty shabby (they never recovered from being chewed on by my sister's dog), so it made more sense to just buy a new pair. I would have much preferred the Yao style, but I couldn't find a pair in my size, so I went with the Arizonas, splurging on a version with black leather insoles for a sleeker feel. I never thought I would be a Birkenstock girl, but after two years of a dressed-down pandemic life, my back and my feet are not going back to uncomfortable shoes. 

Another item on my replacement list was a pair of Common Projects Achilles sneakers. I got my current pair in a sale about 4 or 5 years ago, and they no longer provide as much support as I'd like. Common Projects are outrageously overpriced for what they are, but when they are on sale (and they often are), I think they are the best luxe sneaker in that price range -- sleek and elegant, but still easy, and often coming in beautifully subtle colours. They've clocked zero wears so far because I plan to break them out for Lunar New Year in January (my own little tradition when it comes to new shoes). 

Unplanned but good
I bought the Uniqlo x Mame Kurogouchi bra camisole in black when I made a trip to Singapore in July - the weather was sweltering and I didn't pack enough clothes to to keep up with the need for daily laundering. I don't usually like the look of Uniqlo bra tops but this one is really good - the fabric and make is sleeker and more elegant than the usual styles, and there's a subtle drape that adds ease. It looks a bit frumpy in the picture but the straps are adjustable so I can extend them for a more relaxed feel. And it wicks sweat like nobody's business, so I can go from walking the dogs to straight to dinner in a restaurant with friends. I bought a second one days after I got the first and I expect to wear this a lot when summer arrives in Australia (if it ever arrives). 

Another unexpected but nice buy was a pair of wide-legged linen trousers from Assembly Label (not pictured), which I found in a secondhand store while coat hunting. I find wide-legged styles to be very comfortable for working from home and a nice break from wearing joggers all the time. These ones have straddled cool and warm days brilliantly and I expect to continue to get good use out of them.

Outerwear hits and misses
I spent a lot of time thinking about outerwear throughout winter, as I wasn't quite happy with what I had but didn't want to buy anything on impulse. From Singapore, I brought with me a wool peacoat that was too heavy and a little formal for most days; a trench coat that had become a little too tight in the shoulder, and a plain down jacket that's incredible performance-wise (I did lots of camping trips in it), but is lacking in style. 

I was very taken with the idea of a duvet-style quilted coat, and hunted high and low for options before I landed on a plaid Caron Callahan number on The RealReal. I love the pink and green pattern mix, and the cotton fabric is soft and dreamy, but sadly, I have not worn as it as much as I'd hoped to. It's tighter around the arms than I would like, and doesn't have the ease that makes me just grab and throw it on (this is why I don't like online shopping, getting the right fit is tricky). Also, I ordered it rather late in the season and it became too warm to wear it. That said, I think it has a lot of potential, so we'll see how it goes next winter. 

As winter drew to an end, I concluded that what I really wanted was something that was long and roomy so that I had the flexibility of add layers comfortably. I loved the Uniqlo U shirt-coat on sight, and tried to look for a secondhand or responsibly-made equivalent. But in the end, I went back to Uniqlo for the fit - it's just much safer buying I've tried on. It's having a good run so far -- it works as a light jacket for spring but during cold snaps, I've been able to layer up satisfactorily. I don't feel good shopping fast fashion, but in many ways, it is a better buy than the Caron Callahan coat because of its versatility.  

I wished I hadn't
On impulse, I ordered a long denim skirt from Raey together with my Caron Callahan coat on TRR - I have this terrible habit of thinking that I need to order at least two things to make expensive shipping costs "worth it". 

I'd been craving a denim midi/maxi skirt, so I was really excited when I found the Raey skirt, and chose to ignore the voice in my head telling me that buying bottoms online almost never works out well for me. And of course the voice was right - the skirt was uncomfortably tight in the hip but too big at the waist; I'm still confused as to what the intended fit is. I made some minor alterations so it fits better now, but I'm still not wearing it much, and I think I'll probably sell to my neighbourhood consignment store if this remains the case. 

Another thing I bought simply because I was buying something else at the time was the Uniqlo U striped dress. I love it, but have no need for it, and have worn it only a couple of times since buying it. I plan to try wearing it as a shirt, and if that's a better option, I may shorten it into an actual shirt in future.

I got some vintage Lee denim shorts (not pictured) when I was browsing vintage denim out of boredom on Etsy. They have a cute retro feel and fit well, but I haven't worn them at all because I keep forgetting I have them. Definitely something I could have lived without.

An emotional buy
I closed the year with a black slip dress in washed silk from Assembly Label. I have zero need or occasion for this, but trying it on was such a glorious feeling that I couldn't let it go. I tried it a few months ago but didn't buy it. Then I saw it marked down for Black Friday, and it seemed like too good a thing to let go. Even though I haven't worn it, I somehow don't feel like it's a mistake. I've always wanted a dress like this but never found one that fit me right, and this one felt so natural that I could have left the shop wearing it. It brings back memories of the fashion imagery that inspired me so much when I was a teen, and I feel that sets a tone and idea for how I would like to dress. I reckon it's worth a whole post of its own...

******************

Looking at my shopping decisions this year, I think I was right to double down on basics that helped to pull together bits of my Singapore life with my Melbourne life. I was also right to hold back (to some extent) on buying winter wear until I had experienced enough cold weather to know what I needed. But I was still shopping out of boredom on more occasions than I would like, and those purchases have unsurprisingly, become conundrums. 

Normally, after reflecting on my shopping for the year, I feel compelled to rein it in, but looking at what I've bought this year (and also what I've worn this year), the gaps and excesses of my wardrobe became quite obvious. I have too many pieces that no longer fit me, or are a style that never quite embraced me (and which I didn't embrace back). Meanwhile, the pieces that I do love (and still fit me) were often not appropriate for Melbourne weather. 

Instead of randomly buying denim shorts or shirtdresses, I should have been seeking out new "building block" pieces that would either be great worn on their own when I'm home all day working, or would elevate and set off my "going out" clothes. Or more layering pieces that I could throw over (or under) my predominantly summer basics to get more wear out of them.

And that's how I've come up with my shopping list for the coming months. I don't often make lists and I don't find that I am very good at keeping to them, but I have a good feeling about this one because I think I have hit a point with my wardrobe where there's nowhere to go but be a just a bit more organised, if I truly want to make the most of it.

The list:
  • Crew-neck tees >> In particular, I would like long-sleeved versions of these, in neutral colours and perhaps a stripe. They seem well suited for Melbourne's warm days and cool nights, and one or two more would give me more options. A smooth cotton one would be nice, and if I can find a good quality merino version, it would be a bonus. 
  • A thin but warm cardigan >> I currently only have one cardigan, and it's not particularly versatile because of its material (navy jacquard knit) and length (kneelength). I'm hoping to find something light and easy to carry around that I can wear over my tank tops and sleeveless items, and also with dressy items. A fine merino knit is my preferred option. 
  • A loose-fitting shirt, with a band collar or a camp collar >> I adore both styles but have never found one that I liked. It wasn't much of an essential in Singapore, but here in Melbourne, it seems like a good option for layering and keeping off the sun or a sharp breeze.
  • An overshirt/shirt jacket in a heavier material >> I am quite fond of my denim overshirt from Uniqlo U, but sometimes I find myself longing for one in a lighter colour. This is not an essential, but if I do see the right piece, I would snap it up. 
  • A comfortable but refined shoe >> I often feel at a loss when Birkenstocks or sneakers are not appropriate shoes for the occasion, and in my mind, a pair of strappy leather flat sandals might be a good addition to my shoe collection. But this is also not essential and would very much depend on how my lifestyle pans out in 2023. 
It's also likely that when winter draws near, I may find other gaps to fill, so I will leave space for that. And I know I'm going to need some better socks, bras and undies (I'm getting holes in my favourites). 

What did 2022 look like for you, shopping-wise? What do you want it to look like next year?

Comments

Jen said…
I spent a stupid amount of money this year, so 2023 will be very strict No Buy year. That being said, most of what I bought this year were mostly hits for me. I think understanding my color palette better greatly helped. I'm not inclined to buy items if they don't have it in the exact color I want. I've managed to let go of a lot of things I wanted that way. Regardless of how much I like the style if the color isn't right then I know I won't reach for it.

Like you, I have issues with buying bottoms online. Most of the time they are misses for me, but I've gotten some drawstring and elastic band bottoms that actually worked out and I knew they would be more on the casual side.

I'm also not willing to buy uncomfortable shoes anymore. But when I was at a xmas party last week I realized just how casual my wardrobe has become over the past few years and may need to invest in some slightly dressed up styles soon. All my shoes are casual barefoot style now and I'm always comfortable in them, but I know I'll need a few dressy shoes for rare occasions. The same with clothes. Most of mine are so relaxed now I don't have anything that says "party" or "going out" anymore. I don't intend to buy any dressy clothes or shoes in 2023, unless absolutely necessary. I want to ride out the casual wave for as long as possible!
MC Bontemps said…
2022 was hopefully the last of the years when I spent the time, energy and budget usually devoted to travel on jewelry. I have odd scraps of new knowledge, a couple of good contacts and some very pretty sparkly things but man am I happy to return to normal programming and the resumption of in-person contact with beloved friends, family and places.

Thanks for reminding about Common Projects sneakers. My go-to for dressier trainers failed to make it through the pandemic and I’ve been wondering what to do with my current pairs on their last legs. Do the uppers hold up to wear ? Including the occasional rain ? They look fairly structured with a dressier leather - do they crease across the front ? (all of my dress shoes need shoe trees and stuffing to prevent this but I’m resistant to having to baby sneakers too)
lin said…
Jen: It's a nice feeling when you feel good about what you buy, and I think I need to be more demanding when I shop. I too enjoy this casual wave, until a couple weeks ago when I went to dinner at a nice restaurant and I was rather distracted by my shoe choice. That said, these are one-off occasions so I reckon the urge to buy nicer shoes will pass..

MC Bontemps: The Common Projects have been good! I have a habit of flexing my toes against the floor in a way that stresses the widest part of the shoe, so it has creased at those stress points. But there is no damage or serious wear and tear anywhere else. They're actually my favourite sneakers to wear when it rains - the leather is quite resistant to water, and they look good as new after a wipe.

I reckon I've worn these shoes hundreds of times -- I only started tracking my wears in end-2020 and I've clocked 100 wears, which is good considering I rarely went out during the pandemic. And I think they've held up very well. The insole is the part where I feel the age of the shoe - it's definitely less supportive after nearly five years. The rubber bottoms have also become thinner, but they still have plenty of traction in the tread.
Miss Roller said…
Such a honest blog;)

Popular Posts