shorts, then and now



I finally got a pair of shorts fixed recently - the elastic band in the waist had completely stretched out so I had them replaced. It was such joy to put them on again.

I bought the shorts in 2018. In 2018, I was still fresh from taking a year off from work, and just getting the hang of a new job. My younger sister was planning her wedding. My mother was alive. One of the first times I wore the shorts, was on a scuba diving trip in Timor Leste with four of my best friends.

Three years on, my younger sister is now pregnant with her first child. I got married, and am planning a move to Australia, where my husband is from. I am contemplating a job change. My mother has passed on. One of my friends on the diving trip now has two young children. We are living in a pandemic.

Not to get too sentimental, but these shorts have become a marker of time. What else will they see? 

Meanwhile, other comings and goings. I bought a pair of beige vintage Lee jeans on Etsy a while back...I love the material but after a couple wears, I found the fit awkward, so I've decided to sell them. 

But the itch for a pair of light-coloured jeans remained, so I bought a pair of white jeans from Esby (secondhand), which were going for a reasonable price on Noihsaf Bazaar (not always the case on NB!). The fabric is thinner than the heavy denim I prefer, and I might have been disappointed if I bought them new, but the fit is excellent for me.

I also sold a pair of high-waist jeans that became too tight for me, and splurged on a pair of Lemaire jeans I found on The RealReal, with original tags still attached. They are the most heavenly indigo and fit just right.

My Bimba & Lola sandals fell apart at the soles...they're not great quality to start with, so I wasn't that surprised after three years of wear. But I took them to a cobbler and he peeled off the bottom sole, cleaned off the old glue, added reinforcements, and glued them together afresh for $40. I thought it was nice that he cared enough to fix them, not everyone bothers when they think the shoes are cheaply made.

And last weekend, I tried to dye an old white blouse black. It came out dark grey but I like it, and I will definitely dye more stuff in future, especially my older tees. 

Right now I'm wearing an old gingham tank top from Muji, and a pair of black shorts from Uniqlo. What I wear when there's nowhere to go. I love the two pairs of jeans I bought. I have another vintage pair flying my way as I type. But how much wear will I get out of them this year?

Maybe I shop because I am bored. Maybe I shop because my clothes are too tight. Maybe I hope because I am hopeful. It is probably all three. 

What I am at enjoying at the moment:
  • Dog-sitting for my sisters' doggos and bringing them on long walks
  • Stalking men's vintage jeans online
  • Reading books about faraway places (currently reading The Lost Pianos of Siberia by Sophy Roberts)
  • A trio of glass tumblers I ordered in January, made in Afghanistan. They're all slightly different, and remind me of all the things out there I have yet to see. 


Hope everyone is well, wherever you are. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
When you dye your clothes, does the dye not come off when they are being used afterwards? Would you recommend a particular dye?
I have a coat that's really nice shape and fabric (wool) but that particular shade of camel makes me look ill so I am considering dyeing it.
lin said…
Hello, the colour does run in the first wash (so separate your lights and darks!) but the item itself has held the colour pretty well. It was a lot less intense than I wanted though, I wonder if I used too much water.

The brand I used is called Dylon, because it was easily available where I live. I see a lot of influencers plugging Rit Dye, but I've not tried it personally.

If you're dying an item as large as a coat, you may need a lot of dye and a really big tub! Some dyes can be put into washing machines to dye large items, so look out for those.
Anonymous said…
Thanks, really helpful!
MC Bontemps said…
Good to hear an update from you ! It does feel strange at how much life has flowed on in this disrupted year and a bit (and maybe two and a bit more to go) but you’re doing the right thing to keep pushing forward with the big decisions and I think all of us are finding distraction in the small ones, including fiddling with the contents of our wardrobes and shopping. I went to town with flowers yesterday for all the mums in my family and will do the same for my girlfriends celebrating Raya later this week. Maybe something smaller and more sustainable might have worked just as well but I figured … the florist is a friend and could use the business and well why not ?

Popular Posts