notes for december

baa4b1fb261580e71919c1d32a7ec6f6
  • My navy cardigan. I never stop loving this colour but when the December rains come and almost everyday is wet and grey, the richness of the colour feels just right.
  • All-butter shortbread from Marks and Spencer. One of these days I'm going to get down to baking some but for now, instant gratification from M&S is just what I need.
  • Nescafe Alta Rice instant coffee - I decided to cut my flat white habit (saving me about $100 a month, a flat white or latte goes for about S$5 here) and went back to storing instant coffee at my desk. This stuff from Nescafe smells so good that people in my office are constantly badgering me for some.
  • 汤圆, or glutinous rice balls. My family is big on 冬至, or the Winter Solstice, even though it's not really celebrated in Singapore in as a big a way as it is in China or Taiwan. It's basically a time for families to reunite as everyone hunkers down for winter, and rice balls are traditionally eaten. We glazed the rice balls with powdered peanuts mixed with crushed black sesame seeds and melted brown sugar. So comforting.
  • Jet's "Get Born" album. Reliving old times.
  • My white Gram high-top sneakers. I don't usually wear them more than once a month but I'm really on a roll with them this month. I bought them in Berlin in 2007 and they marked the end of my sneaker era - I graduated and began working and sneakers were no longer suitable every day. More reliving of old times.
This time of the year makes me nostalgic and wistful, but also eager for the coming year. I'm taking a break from posting until the new year, but I'll still be reading blogs as usual, and I already have posts planned for 2012 that I can't wait to share.

I still can't quite believe that people read this blog, and to those who have commented and shared their thoughts here, you've made this space more interesting, more fun, and less self-absorbed.

Happy holidays and see you all in 2012!

Comments

Maja Piraja said…
"Get Born" is an awesome album. Have a wonderful holiday! :)
petrichore said…
Enjoy the winter break! Here's a family recipe for shortbread cookies. They're simple to make, but for some reason my oven is unpredictable and they get a little browned. But still delicious! Sorry the measurements are not in metric, but since there's so few ingredients, you can take the same proportions and apply it to metric measurements.

3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour

Mix butter and sugar thoroughly (cream with a mixer). Work in flour with hands, then chill dough in the refrigerator.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough to 1/3 to 1/2 an inch thick, and cut out using cookie cutters. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 20 to 25 min. The tops of the cookies should not be brown! Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


minima/maxima, a blog about minimalist style
Joy said…
Oh I miss the shortcakes from M&S too! And I can't wait to get my hands on some 湯圓. 黑芝麻 is my fav!!! I'm making an end of the month round up list as well, so prepared to be "copied" (aka Nov 2.0), LOL. See you in 2012!
Anonymous said…
Happy holidays to you too! I am also taking a break to see my family, and eat and drink, and eat and drink again and again : )
ming said…
People read your blog because you have smart and discerning things to say about personal style and consumerism! I'm still thinking through your post about A.P.C. and Jean Touitou's comments about China.

Best wishes for the new year :)

http://damnfinecoffee.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
I just had tang yuan last night! :)

One of the better things that happened in blogosphere for me was getting acquainted with you.

Have a blessed Christmas and blessings on you and yours.

Best,
E
jennifer said…
Happy solstice! My family also had tang yuan last night (and this morning), we had ours with fermented rice (jiu niang). It's a tradition that I look forward to every year.
Ammu said…
Happy holidays to you too! This has been a great month so far - I am loving work, the prospect of a two-week holiday starting Tuesday, wool tights, my Lanvin black satin sneakers, and the wonderful cobbler who lives near my home and makes even the most battered shoes (6-year-old leather boots) look new. Hope 2012 brings you much happiness!
Human Racing said…
Enjoy the break and happy new year! I feel the same way about the color navy.
miss sophie said…
enjoy your break and have a lovely holidays with your family!

your posts and insights continue to be an inspiration to me and your many other readers. looking forward to what you've got planned for the new year.

i love tang yuan too. they're just the thing for a winter's night. :)
adr. said…
I've actually been silently reading our blog for a while... It's been very interesting for me, because recently i've been struggling with finding how to present myself through the way I dress, and actually i've just starting working (in Singapore too ^^) so looking at your posts helps :)

Merry Xmas!
Kate said…
even though we live a large number of miles away from eachother in countries on opposite sides of the world, i too have been enjoying alta rica and marks and sparks shortbread. kudos!
Lindsay K said…
Happy Holidays to you! Hope you are enjoying spending time with friends and family:)

I love this time of year- it's full of reflection, but excitement and anticipation for the new year.

I still owe you an email. I haven't forgotten, I've just been swamped.
son said…
happy (early)new year & happy holidays! i tend to start the holidays reminiscing, but end them full of plans and enthusiasm (hopefully sustained this year!). looking fwd to next years posts.
lin said…
Maja Piraja: I'd forgotten! It's listenable from first track to last, which is kind of a rare thing for me these days.

Pret a Porter P: Thanks and I hope you had a good one!

Petrichore: Thanks! Maybe I will finally get down to it when I have time over New Year's.

Joy: I think everyone should make lists like these, it's nice to see what everyone is up to!

lunaday: I hope you had a great holiday!

ming: Thanks for such kind words...I hope I didn't sound like I was fishing for compliments, haha. Here's to a great 2012!

justeileen: Thanks, I've enjoyed your thoughtful comments (not to mention all those great shopping tips on my Chanel bag) and I hope you had a great Christmas with your loved ones.

jennifer: It's perfect for the time of the year isn't it? It's not cold here but it's so rainy and grey that I can't think of a more appropriate treat. I've never had it with fermented wine before, definitely going to try that when I have the chance.

Ammu: Oh I saw your comment on Un Petit Bijou about going to Bangalore and Goa! I hope you have a terrific time!

miss sophie: Thanks, I hope you had a good break as well, and I definitely look forward to reading your posts in the coming year too.

adr: Hope you had a good christmas, and a new year to come! I started my blog because I was trying to figure out my style actually, haha. How are you finding Singapore so far? Do email me if you've any questions or want to know where's a good place for what..

Kate: Ah, the joys of globalisation.

Lindsay K: Happy holidays to you too! Thanks for remembering...I was planning to email you again after New Year, and leave you to enjoy the holidays on more important things.

son: I hope you had a good christmas, and happy new year to you!
Milly said…
Have a wonderful holiday and super New Year. Just to say I so enjoy reading your blog, keep it up!x

http://millyfellintothewardrobe.blogspot.com/
Nhu said…
Hey, I often save your posts on my Google feed so I can read them when I have time to slow down and savor them. For some reason, your posts are hard to skim. That's a good thing! So this is my explanation for a late, late posting, and just to say happy holidays. Look forward to more posts next year.

Popular Posts