skins

Having spent the day looking through more of the New York spring collections, I spotted a trend that had been predicted by a couple of fashion magazines, but I hadn't found compelling enough until now - leather jackets.

The last time I fell hard for a leather jacket, I was 13, and Tom Ford did that Gucci collection with the wildly embellished jeans, the seventies' Hawaiian print dresses, and yes, those killer motorcycle jackets. I still remember them - they came in chartruese, olive, and most covetably, deep red. They were fitted and narrow and deeply sexy.

I think that's the only time I fell (hard or not) for a leather jacket.

So it was nice to see some old emotions stirred when I spotted these on the runways -




The grey Jenni Kayne in particular rocked my boat a bit. She also did a number of very nice leather coats, which is again, nice, because the last time a leather coat rocked my boat was one of Narciso Rodriguez's in his fall 2003 collection - this stunning leather kneelength piece that fitted like a glove and looked like something Trinity would wear in The Matrix if she decided to be chic.

The silver Ralph Lauren is probably the only silver jacket in the world I will ever like (I'm definitely going to do a post on how wonderfully he did silver/gold for spring) - the fit of the jacket screams attitude while the texture and colour reads luxe.

And yes, I already mentioned before that I like this quilted black Proenza Schouler very very much. Maybe it's because I am currently craving a quilted Chanel bag. But then Burberry's quilted number for fall didn't quite touch me the way this one did.

None of this exactly translates into a trend precisely, but maybe in reaction to all the tweedy, woolly boxy jackets designers (think Marni) have been showing for several seasons (before that it was blazers - remember those?), these leather pieces look fresh again.

Pictures taken from style.com

Comments

Popular Posts