the split personality question...

This is the outfit I might have wanted to wear to my cousin's wedding -



But what I would have wound up wearing might look closer to this -



I always think there is this big disparity between what I think makes a cool outfit and what I would actually put on myself - I do rather wish that I had the nerve to simply wear whatever I want. But let's face it, some of us were not born to pull off off every look under the sun. I thought of this as me and a friend were talking about the clothes she bought for a wedding she attended - two dresses that probably cost more than anything she ever bought thus far in her life. I think when it comes to buying expensive clothes, I'm more likely to pick something classic "investment"-ish - in other words when I decide to blow about $1000 on an item, chances are it's not a sparkly Matthew Williamson mini. Anyway, my friend's dress was beautiful and elegant and made me wish I'd had the time to do some shopping instead of having to yank something together from my closet at the last minute. I feel quite inspired - perhaps the next time I see that investment-worthy dress, I'll plonk for it even though I don't have the occasion. After all, if you buy it the occasion will come...

Comments

Popular Posts